Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - Repurposing Cafe Cups?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

While throwing away (*shudder*) My McDick's McCafe large coffee cup, I noted the depth and rigidness of the cup and it came to me: I'll poke holes in the bottom and use them for my Tomato starts!

Does anyone know if these are biodegradable? If so, I'll just pop the bottom out and plant them in the ground during the transplanting.

2Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - Repurposing Cafe Cups? Empty cafe cups Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:10 pm

jocelyn

You might have to try them, to find out. I've used Timmy's cups, but they take a long time to break down, due to the plastic coating on the inside. I mostly use beer cups now, as that's what "the boys" drink up the back road. I go the next morning and gather up, grin....lots of beer cups. Keiths seems to be the brand of choice, that and Coor's Very Happy

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Even if they are not biodegradable...if you rip the bottom off/out at plant time, the roots should go down into the soil below anyway, so the presence of the cup is a non-issue. When you pull your tomatoe plants out end of season, out come the cups and go on the burn/compost pile where a winter outside will most likely finish them off.

I think this is a good idea!

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I bought some birds from hidden River a couple years ago and she attached cups in the box for food and water. Ever since then I have saved my disposable cups for transport boxes. If you attach one cup and use another as an insert you can easily replenish the food and water. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum