Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heritage Pie Pumpkin Seeds : I can mail some if anyone would like them?

+15
Fowler
dooversue
pfarms
Dan Smith
DoubleSSRanch
ChicoryFarm
appway
poplar girl
Prairie Chick
chickeesmom
pops coops
CynthiaM
debbiej
nuthatch333
mirycreek
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

If all goes well i will be happy to share seed in the fall as well Very Happy

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

I was intrigued by this variety so I googled around.
Here are some Canadian companies that sell Rouge Vif d’Etampes seeds (aka Cinderella Pumpkin)

WEST COAST SEEDS
Vancouver, BC
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

HENRY FIELD’S
West Lorne, ONT

SOLANA SEEDS
Quebec

and… a Cinderella pumpkin recipe
It looks so good! I can’t wait to try it so I guess I better get buying some seed.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got my seeds today. Thanks a bunch!!! cheers

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I forgot to let you know I got mine too! Thank You Mirycreek

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I picked my package of seeds up about a week ago... Thank You very much

I order from West Coast Seeds and have had great success. I would love to try this pumpkin sometime.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey maybe we can revive this thread in the fall and see pics of how they grew and where they grew...might be kind of fun!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:Hey maybe we can revive this thread in the fall and see pics of how they grew and where they grew...might be kind of fun!

Very fun!

Or very embarrassing (judging from my garden last year). lol!

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got my seeds yesterday thank you so very much

http://www.popscoops.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:I order from West Coast Seeds and have had great success. I would love to try this pumpkin sometime.

Well mirycreek has started a demand for her seeds and I'm sure, if not her, between the rest of us, we can get you some next year from these ones. These ones are special caused their filled with lots of love!

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes thank you Miry, received my seeds last week, looking forwards to seeing how we all do. I am thinking some nice composted chicken poo and we will all have huge pumpkins.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Started 6 seeds a couple of days ago and 4 are already coming. cheers

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Started 6 seeds a couple of days ago and 4 are already coming. cheers

Oh wow, you must have an early growing season!! I set the pumpkin seed right in the ground in May, I don't bother with starts with the pumpkins, maybe i should though, but not until at least the beginning of May...nice, you gonna have some early beautiful pumpkins from Mirycreek!! I can't wait to grow mine from her too. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was thinking that the beginning of April would be a good time to start the seeds, usually can't put them out much before the long weekend in May just to be on the safe side can't wait for great pumpkins Smile

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I will start mine indoors about 3-4 weeks before they can go outside...but to be safe it will probably be around mid May when I start them indoors. We had frost in July the past two summers Shocked

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Must be time to get these started. Really looking forwards to the end product.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will put mine directly in the garden end of May...I never had much luck w/starting plants, well they start alright but then I put them out and they are so wimpy and the wind knocks them over and the cat digs them up and the dog sits on them.....
much better they grow right where they are planted with me!
I really want to hear how they all do for everyone, kind of fun to send seeds out far and wide! Very Happy Laughing

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do not start pumpkin or squashes. Been there. Done that. I find that they are 100% stronger if they are in the ground, and Mother Nature figures out when to allow their teeny tiny heads to reach for the stars. That is the only way that I will grow vine plants. As you said Miry, they tend to be weaklings. Some seeds that germinate, if the root is damaged in any way (like cannot grow deep enough because of constriction from a container), that will cause harm to the plant and it will just not be strong enough. As an aside, many years ago, I did tests with seeds (I had that small nursery I operated, had lots of clients). I stated seeds in pots, but very deep pots. The plants that I set in the garden that had been grown in pots, compared to the same plants that I set seed in the garden, never performed nearly as well as the ground seeded ones. Just put the seeds in the ground, they will come up when conditions are ready. Warm weather plants, need warm soil to germinate. Around middle of May for surely, be patient....they will reward you with lush growth and you will have pumpkin pies !! Cool Cool Cool . Can't wait to see these beautiful breed of pumpkins growing merrily in my garden, thanks again, Mirycreek, have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

chickenjo

chickenjo

That would definately be true in the okanagan.. Very Happy .. Up here in the North country we have to do everything possible to get a jump start. Some years are great and we have a good year. I have even grown watermellons one year. Most years you put the seeds in and by first frost they aren't even half grown. I haven't had pumpkins yet from direct seeding.. Sad.. The best pumpkins I have seen up here was when my grandma was throwing her seeds out over the hill in her compost pile.. She didn't mean to grow them but the seeds were there from the fall before. Mid summer she took a look over the hill and she had huge pumpkin vines and pumpkins growing all over. I guess there was enough heat in the compost to keep the seeds alive all winter.LOL

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yep here in Central Alberta we need a bit of a head start. I have two greenhouses, so guess I was being very selfish suggesting that you start them early. Meaning I have a pretty good set up to start seeds early.
Anyways, looking forwards to how we all do in the fall.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya for sure, up north, you would surely need to start them early, absolutely. Just remember, try to get as deep a pot as you can, so that the tender roots are not disturbed and can grow happily, just might help those tenders to not have disturbance. Remember too, that when seedlings/plants are transplanted, no matter how careful, that plant will be set back about 2 weeks in time. I am not trying to be mean by saying these things, but every bit of knowledge helps us to do things better, smiling. Oh happy, happy gardening...and have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh I meant to say too. I don't think that we can grow watermelons from seed started in the ground here. Last year, I admit, I did start some seedlings of the sugar baby watermelon, they did mature, but if I hadn't started them early as I did, I don't think there would have been fruit. But that fruit was so wonderful, oh man, mouth watering. I loved the size of them, not overly huge, but not small either. This year I am going to get them going even a bit earlier and in even bigger little pots, smiling. As a matter of fact, think I am going to do it like PDQ. Think I am going to use a red solo cup with little holes poked in the bottom for drainage, that would be plenty deep to get the babies rollin' along, Cool have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

chickenjo

chickenjo

My mom uses these coconut pots. They take awhile to break down so she makes slices on the sides for the roots to escape. They work quite well to help from disturbing the roots. We are zone 2b here so you have to be creative to grow stuff.. It is excellent for peas, carrots and lettuce though. Beans do excellent here too. I usually just use deep 4 inch pots I reuse from the pot stuffers I buy in the spring. It seems to work fairly well. They don't seem to get too much transplant stress. Very Happy
Gardening is sure great isn't it?! I've been pretty obsessed for the last 10 years.. lol Do you have fruit trees Cynthia? I would sure love to be able to grow peaches.. Very Happy ... I sure wish I could have okanagan zones over my garden plot.. Very Happy
Happy gardening.. and a wonderful day as well!!! Jody

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

So I got a number of plants started. Lost most of them but, from what I've seen others posting, that was fairly common this year.

Ended up with two plants, each producing one pumpkin seen below (ignore the chew marks, I saved them from the mice in the garden). I'm just wondering about the difference in appearance. The smaller one looks very similar to the original post and was a pale orange colour the entire time it was growing. The larger one (most likely larger because it was growing in well rotted manure) is similar in shape but I'm wondering about that colour. I had been waiting for it to turn as it ripened but it has stayed that green. Could this be a cross with a squash or something? Was there anything else close by Miry? Did you have a variation in colour like this?

Understand that I am NOT complaining. I actually think the colour is kind of neat. It looks metallic when it gets wet. I just want to know if one might be a cross so as to keep the seeds separate (as I said, I think it's neat so I'm planning on keeping the seeds regardless).

Edit: Looks like the green isn't getting it's full due in the picture.

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think they must have cross pollinated with something. I have been meaning to post some pictures of mine. I had two plants from 3 seeds. One produced smaller green fruit, I think about 7, the other plant produced 4 larger yellow pumpkins that turned light orange but have not turned the dark red orange although ther shape looks correct.

I am also not complaining and was thrilled I actually got some pumpkins.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by poplar girl on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum