Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blue cochin (large fowl) owners, pictures added, pic HEAVY

+4
HigginsRAT
Schipperkesue
coopslave
CynthiaM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

snaphu wrote:
HigginsRAT wrote:Yer friend scares me CynthiaM... affraid hee hee... And I don't often scare easy...whimper No
Blue cochin (large fowl) owners, pictures added, pic HEAVY - Page 3 Yuckyuck

...AND...
Schipperkesue wrote:Viking Sue! Yikes, I feel so insignificant.

You can call me SkippySue.
nice to meet you "SkippySue" and everyone here! Blue cochin (large fowl) owners, pictures added, pic HEAVY - Page 3 Yippiechickie

And Tara, I certainly hope you are just goshing, nothing to be afeared of of this gal, she is wonderful

SkippySue, VikingSue!! Gotta love the nicknames we give to the ones we love Very Happy . And yes, VikingSue, welcome to our forum!! SkippySue, love your new nickname, smiling that big smile.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:CynthiaM did all the roosters have leakage in the shoulders or were some in the neck and saddle.
The shoulder leakage could be Mahogany at play (Mh). It extends the Red and restricts the distribution of Black. I dont have much experience with it, I think it may also remove black from the breast, but I know it gives red on the shoulders, back and wingbows a deep dark red colour in roostes.

Coopslave, to be completely honest, I have had so little exposure to this. The splash cockerel that my friend took (VikingSue) had taken the youngster before any red feather leakage had showed up. You can see from the picture that it pretty much is only on the shoulder. There was one other splash cockerel that had been around long enough to display that red feather leakage, that was on his shoulder only, he was not around long enough to know if it surfaced elsewhere. Therefore, as hopefully you can understand, I have not had enough of this, well, what I call a problem, surface. Only the two times, that I know of. There have been other splash cockerels, but they were few and far between, and I have no clue the outcome of what they looked like as they grew. But from what I have seen with the two I speak of, it was only on the shoulder. I will one day ask my Sister if she can recall HOW MUCH of the "party" colours she remembers seeing on her cockerel she got from me. Sorry I can't be of much more help with this, just only ever had just a few splash cockerels that arose from the blue.....have wonderful days, CynthiaM.

Tara, I will get back to read more about your experience with dabbling with the white wyandotte stuff. I did see the pictures, the whites were beautiful Smile .

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara, Ar+ makes more sense than Mh, but it is a deep red that is what got me wondering if it may be Mh. I think Mahogany tends to push black out of the breast as well, so with it I imagine you would see red in the breast of the cockerels.
Ar+ can have an interesting effect on many different colours.
Still learning all this stuff. I tend to learn things that are important to me in the breeds I am working with so it is nice to stretch into other areas, even if you guesses are wrong. Very Happy

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

snaphu wrote:I'm SOOO happy to be able to help you with this cochin project! I'm not sure if it matters at this point, but the hatching dates you gave us was for the black cochins - Jan.11, 2010, and for the white cochin and the splash rooster - January 29th, 2010. Smile[/color]

Wow, VikingSue, I am very surprised that you kept track of this as you did, good on ya. That does help, now I can go back to my records and see exactly what was going on there, instead of relying on memory. Just wasn't too sure of what the dates of hatch were for these hens, now I know. Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am wondering if some of this genetic stuff that is being spoken about is finally starting to sink into this ol' mind a little bit. I have been reading and re-reading, listening to examples and trying to put two and two together. You know, I think I might be actually starting to "get" a little bit about the genetic stuff talked about here. BUT....gotta keep reading and re-reading more, I love it, when things begin to make even the most remote bit of sense, I feel accomplishment and this spurs more desire to study further. Yay!! Tara, I still think that you have a marvelous manner of exampling things, teaching (man can't stop thinking of the example of the light and dark broth in that soup, smiling again that big smile). Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara Shocked Shocked Shocked . Now you really gotta me head a'swimmin'. Thanks, smiling that big smile. I am in the throws of beginning to finish up dinner cookin'....head swimmin', certainly sleepin' on too much information and lovin' every minute of it. Hope I can finish this job of the evening meal Very Happy .

I have comments...but those will come early tomorrow morning, when I have rested my head, woke up too early cause I can't stop thinkin', and well, you get the gist. Shorthand....took that as a young gal back in highschool, two years of it...darned if I can remember what or how to make those symbols, smiling that big smile. Yes, generosity with smiling is a most wonderful gift to give to anyone that will take it to themselves and understand it comes from the heart. Have a beautiful night, words will flow in the early hours of tomorrow morning. CynthiaM.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT
I don't think you have a copy of Jeffrey's Coopslave (at least you never mentioned it that I know of...good book if you want, some of the genetics is little outdated but packed with tons of great winter reading; chicken behaviours, interesting stories, oldtimer knowledge...kewl stuff) ...so here is the three paragraphs of relevance:

I don`t have a copy of Jeffrey`s Bantam Chickens, it would have escaped my radar as I don`t do `little` chickens. Very Happy
I will keep an eye out for it.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:Heel low:

Cynthia M STOP HERE (go to next paragraph below please) Wheaten scares me to death...both dom and recessive acting, see Siggie's page 47 & 48, depends on genetics -melanisers for example- present for a heterozygous Duckwing/Wheaten to decide which of these e-series is dom/rec--oh the PAIN in the brain!). Just SO glad I got no Duckwing e"+" wild type to mess with my mind. Fer now, never say never, that kinda question will be next! LOL

Nope, Tara, couldn't stop there, had to read the paragraph, I just can't do "stopping", smiling.

CynthiaM wrote:I am wondering if some of this genetic stuff that is being spoken about is finally starting to sink into this ol' mind a little bit. I have been reading and re-reading, listening to examples and trying to put two and two together. You know, I think I might be actually starting to "get" a little bit about the genetic stuff talked about here. BUT....gotta keep reading and re-reading more, I love it, when things begin to make even the most remote bit of sense, I feel accomplishment and this spurs more desire to study further. Yay!! Tara, I still think that you have a marvelous manner of exampling things, teaching (man can't stop thinking of the example of the light and dark broth in that soup, smiling again that big smile). Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

HigginsRAT wrote:
Uh yah...now that we finally cleared out all the hangups you been told. Genetics IS SIMPLE, the KISS principle, seven year old kids get this...sure sure we could muck with your mind, and complicate this for you...but why? There is no boogie boogie boogie man here to jump out and tell you the little letters and a bitta math is going to be difficult. Try ABC and 123...it is easy if the foundations are solid that you start with, that you bite off little bits, try to keep it at about 15 minutes of new stuff...the brain OD's on too much information. Be kind to yourself and crawl, walk, then run...remember, we do not bounce no more, we break, so be gentle to thyself Grasshopper (and watch out for dem turkeys out thar, ready ever to gobble you up!).

Go to my website, Tales from Rat World, got some very good genetic info there, kids version and adult version...read both.

GENETICS
14 Teaching Colour Genetics with Easter Eggs & LEGO Blocks
15 Kid’s Genetic Terminology
16 Genetic Term Glossary
17 Turkey Colour Genetics
18 Poultry Plumage Pigment
19 Colour Genetics as it Pertains to Canines

Suggest the first three, 14 15 16, 17 needs work--this version is way too simple--WIP and it has become a HUGE document now, but that is a WHOLE other project I gotta get thru maybe this winter...18 is good and 19 would be boring unless you got dogs you wanna see about. Liisa is a wonderbar lady, colour genetics discussions where her are just amazing! She is into all sorts of species and floors you with her dabblings! Somebody to aspire to mirror!

Speaking of dogs...when I went from the dogs heavily into playing with the birds more (me wanted to learn MORE), about 8 years ago, I left many of the ACD canine crowd with some colour genetics info, but not alot. I just presumed they were going along as I was with the birds...amassing knowledge, trying to get better and better. Sad part, couple months back, one came to me and actually was using the terminology RED (not a"y" or e/e) and BLUE (not a"t" or K) as the colour genetic terminology for the two recognized colour varieties in the breed.. They had actually stood completely STILL for eight years, never progressed, never did nothing to enlighten themselves regarding colour genetics in canines. The kids that took my canine colour genetics presentations knew more about terminology in the Australian Cattle Dog than these breeders...breeders with decades of dog breeding experience. Question

Note, within the poultry exhibition crowd, I was told by a fellow in the States just this year, that maybe, maybe 5 to 10 percent know much about genetics in poultry. That to me is so very sad. There is just a ton of answers to just so many issues we birders have in those little letters if we would only FRIEND them! TONS of help and to deprive ourselves of that knowledge is just criminal, to us and the birds. If we can easily fix not yellow legs, and Cushion Combs and all the other ISSUES, why would we deny ourselves those tickets to freedom. So much fear envelopes people...you hear someone say, "Oh I had this colour pop out of my Whites...must be a cross bred!"...oh good gosh! NO!! The fear stems from the unknown.

CynthiaM, you go look at all the colours UNDER our whitest of white exhibition bantam Wyandottes...just amazing the colourful patterns and such hidden under a proper White. Some will look at that and figure, "Oh now she has ruined her Whites!"...No, now I know all the components my Whites have, I understand what makes White, ah um ah, WHITE! Not a simple colour, complex when you do NOT want leaky black and leaky reds. To know a topic, you need to tear it down to the base and build it back up, brick by brick and learn, if I forget this one step, so what happens.

I wish you could come play Lego (nfi) blocks and plushy ducks with us on Dec 10th...the thing about teaching colour genetics in this fashion, the playing with finger paints to discover why Blue dilution makes blue, that mixing paint is far more enlightening in how colour genetics work than many people know. That a Punnett Square is of huge help in understanding predictions for breeding expectations (don't guess, do the Punnett and keep doing them until you can do them in your sleep), that it is merely a game matrix no more complicated than a game of tic tac toe. That these are predictions and the roll of the dice each time is a new shot at the expectations...tossing of a coin, heads 300 times in a row is a little far fetched, but it could happen. Hatch lots of chicks and spend exorbitant amounts of time looking and holding your birds....they will teach you more than anyone can.

You should have seen my eyes pop out when I discovered two of my Chant bantam projects were Brockbars--Red Barred/Cuckoos! My eyeballs (oh my eyes affraid ) near fell out on the ground. Coopers and Nuthatch, go see Sig's page 141!

Most of all enjoy and share. The fancy can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it.

You will and can learn a few new tricks, old dog...can't leap as well or as high but we old birds got a few "tricks" up our sleeves. Dump the persona that to understand the little letter language you gotta be some kinda genius, you just gotta want it bad enough to learn a little math (oh my head hurts, here's an aspirin), a few little letters (think in terms of shorthand, the little and big letters are abbreviations that will save the typo fingees a bit of work in the future)--like baking a great Christmas pudding. Place all the necessary ingredients in the pens, mix it up, (shake 'n) bake it and--proof is in the pudding?? ...NOPE proof is in the eating of that said pudding...nummers--egger quiché or meat pies!

You are a really keen fancier that wants to breed up good birds, make improvements and have a really well stocked toolkit. Armed and dangerous (but only to ourselves), don the safety glasses, scary bird bird hat, Kelvar undies, pack yer purse, flap the cape and away! Captain Colour Wizard, Gizzard, gulp and gosh...AWAY!! cheers

So much to speak to, I hardly know where to begin. But I do think I am a keen learner. I do wish that I could be at the session on December 10, but of course distance is that factor (why don't you get someone to video it all, smiling that big smile, I know that is daunting, and I say that with some meaning and then on the other hand, goshing too). I know that the time is coming soon when I will have much more time on my hand (Ol' Man Winter does that thing to me), and I can study more. i WILL be going to your site and reading the Tales of the Rat World, smiling, and paying particular attention to the GENETICS, 14-18 heavily. I will be as that child learning, try to clear my mind, to think as a child, it is yet uncluttered somewhat, so kind of fresh, things will fall into place. I do believe of the KISS thought train, but still don't think anything about this is simple, as you indicate, smiling that enormous smile!! I can be as mature as I choose, and also as immature, all at the same time Shocked .

I really enjoy the way that you speak, you have a way that makes me smile, it makes me listen, and it is delightful the jargon and manner of you, good on ya, girl!!

One day I will refer to terminology as not blue and red (along with other words), but in "letters", they will make sense to me.

I dabbled (as I mentioned before) with the Punnett square a few times, tried to get a handle on setting it up and working it, but it was some time ago, gotta go there again. I know it can be reasonably simple, repetition, repetition, perhaps one day will have the capacity to do it in my sleep, and then holy smokes, watch out world Surprised .

This thread is becoming incredibly long and wonderful, still, as far as I am concerned, totally "on topic" so, as far as I am concerned it could become book length, shocking to say, but may...I am sure that some others are not even opening the thread to look -- but on the other side of the coin -- I can be my bottom dollar, that you and thoughts instigated here, and teachings that are so made so nicely, will be benefiting not only me, but a mountain of other enthusiasts. Keep on being you, you have a gift, and you are sharing this wonderful thing. Now, please to all, have a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
So how did I get roped into posting a list of some of the books I have...baa??

Good gosh Cynthia with a M...you have steered me right out the door and off to the library study ... Wicked wicked EVIL woman of mischievous smiles--smiling lady leading lambs off to slaughter...well at least I feel OK...baaaaa baaaa!! Nice lady with the smile and a cleaver held behind her back!! affraid

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta
- Miss yah Makes; December 7, 1995 – February 4, 2011 ^~~^

WF: DUCKS: Calls (24 varieties), East Indies, Mandarins, Crested Ducks, Australian Spotted, Hookbills, & Appleyards.
GEESE: Buff & Buff Pied American.
SWANS: Australian Black.
LF: BANTAM Brahmas, Wyandottes, Booteds, & Chanteclers & STANDARD Chanteclers (Partridge, Buff, Orange Clay, & White).
Heritage TURKEYS (Jersey Buff, Bronze, Narragansett, Slate, Red Bronze, Rusty Black, Red Blue Bronze, Lilac, & Sweetgrass).
PHEASANTS: Red Golden & Silver.
Registered: Australian Cattle Dogs, Jacob Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, & Llamas. Pond Fish.

Well, I just popped in to see what condition my condition was in, and it is in a sad state of affairs, smiling that bigger than huge smile. You are boggling me with information(anyone else feeling this way, smiling again?) You are setting me up for no sleep at all, whilst I realize punnett squares, pollen, pistels, stamen, more pollen, symbols for gender -- toys, lego blocks, fluffy plush toys, oh man.....and you mention that I have sent you off to the library to do studying, huh!! Put that shoe on my foot and see where I am now, smiling that big smile and that evil smile all at the same time. Just goshing, I get an impression that you like to tease, a lot, a whole lot and isn't that just what makes this world a most fun place to be? Others that play with others, as little children, that we are doing, and I am learning stuff from you whilst in the throws of huge play times. Thanks again, Tara, you are doing a most wonderful job of helping this here gal to come to grips with something that I thought was very deep (and still think it is), but the understanding is coming, oh so ever slowly. More talk tomorrow morning, the dinner is calling to be prepared Rolling Eyes , beautiful days, CynthiaM.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

OK, spending time now doing the deep reading, working on absorbing stuff, think I got the information in post #14 in this thread (seems menial but is not to me) down pretty pat with decent understanding. Many more posts to study and reread now, to get more understanding, but think I am getting this understanding, smiling that great smile, and it feels good!!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum