Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cochin lovers have a look.

+6
Terre Wilde
CynthiaM
cornel
uno
pops coops
coopslave
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Cochin lovers have a look. Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:21 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a thread on another forum that has a ton of cochin pictures. It is an Australian site, but there is a fellow from England the posts some amazing pictures of his birds. It is quite a few pages, but there is a TON of eye candy!!!! Laughing
I hope you enjoy it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Here is a thread on another forum that has a ton of cochin pictures. It is an Australian site, but there is a fellow from England the posts some amazing pictures of his birds. It is quite a few pages, but there is a TON of eye candy!!!! Laughing
I hope you enjoy it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ALL I can say is WOW

http://www.popscoops.com

3cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This makes me very excited! I have Cochin eggs from CynthiaM in the bator right now. Goody, goody!

4cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:39 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

wow! if only there were more good ones out in Canada! i have seen some great ones in Washington at Sheryl Butler's! she has black and buff.
Cynthia has some great blues and i have seen Joe Mazurs birds twice. also gorgeous!

5cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:32 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, very nice, I looked at a good part of that thread, the pictures were wonderful.

I am more confused than ever though now about the colour of the blue cochin legs. After reading the post that was dated February 11, 2009 made by cochin/giant mad, the person was speaking about the leg colour of the blue cochin. I have copied part of that post and put it here. After reading what the author had said that the "standard" required a certain leg colour, I had to go and look at the SOP that I have. Yes, my standard said shanks and toes, male, yellow, bottoms of feet yellow, female, yellow to dusky yellow, yellow preferred, bottoms of feet yellow. I am very confused, is there different "standard" books? Read what the author indicated the standard said about leg colour of the blue cochin. Is there something in what the author is saying that I am not understanding correctly? It follows, in the bold and italicized method -- a very perplexed and now confused CynthiaM, have a wonderful day.

"The picture of the blue Cochin looks great. Notice the legs, on my computer they appear to be yellow, the standard calls for blue legs and feet with yellow pads. If we aren’t aware of this fact we could waste years trying to get them back!

I read somewhere, where someone got hold of some Jersey Giants. Not knowing the standard called for black legs and feet with yellow pads. They culled all the birds with black legs and kept the yellow-legged ones. The Jersey Giant was lost.

I am far from being an expert but we must all be aware of the standard if we intend to breed rare breeds. It would be a disaster if our ignorance destroyed the years of breeding that others before us have done.

I suppose this leads us back to the idea of some kind of mentoring program (wrong post). Here at least it should be a mentoring of the standard!

The photo for the previous post has been removed. At the time I felt it should be made clear to new breeders of Cochin that the standards called for the black and blue varieties to have Black-Dusky yellow or lizard or Blue- legs and feet blue with yellow tinge in pads.
"
[i]

6cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, it is an Australian forum and their Standard may be different than ours. I don`t have my Australian Standard book anymore, so I can not confirm what the leg colour is supposed to be there. I could find out if you like.
They may have changed the standard to just yellow feet as they were finding it tough to get yellow legs. Who knows.

7cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

wow! Just gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing!

8cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for sharing Loved all the pics they had
I have thought about one day getting Cochin's but I am one that likes all the new colors they are getting and they are hard to Find LOL
Love the Silver Lace Cochin is there any Breeders for the standard Cochins on the List that have Silver laced here in Canada.

again thanks for sharing

9cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:03 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Things drive me nuts!! Why are not standards the same, all over the world? Sorry, just don't get it. Anyways, that was a beautiful look at some beautiful birds, beautiful days, CynthiaM.

10cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:Thanks for sharing Loved all the pics they had
I have thought about one day getting Cochin's but I am one that likes all the new colors they are getting and they are hard to Find LOL
Love the Silver Lace Cochin is there any Breeders for the standard Cochins on the List that have Silver laced here in Canada.

again thanks for sharing

Appway, I bought a beautiful pair of blue cochins from Brent at Winfield Alberta. At that time he also had Golden and Silver Laced Cochins. PM me if you would like his contact info, as I'm sure he wouldn't mind my sharing. Smile

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

11cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:Thanks for sharing Loved all the pics they had

again thanks for sharing

I believe Triple J has silver laced cochins

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

12cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:

I believe Triple J has silver laced cochins[/quote]

Thanks Jayme

Do you know if they are Standard Large Fowl or Banty

I guess I will have to ask Her

13cochin) - Cochin lovers have a look. Empty Re: Cochin lovers have a look. Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:32 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have hatchery Barred, Silver Laced, Black Cochins, and a sort of Partridge Girls. I'll check their legs later today to see what color they are. I also have a Blue Cockerel from Westcoastmama and will check out his legs and feet too.

It seems to me, I remember the Barred as having quite yellow legs (or at least the cockerels I have right now from them do).

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum