Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Childs horse wanted

+2
coopslave
Hidden River
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Childs horse wanted Empty Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are on the look out for a childrens/family horse. We want something that has been there, done that, but will do it again. Something with no spook and will neck rein. We also want a sound horse, no vices, and will stand to have their feet done.
Looking for something 14-16 HH, 6-12 years old, and under $2000.
I know we are asking for a lot but if anyone has something or knows of something please let me know. Willing to travel to pick up.
I have responded to countless Kijiji ads but just wont pay their prices or wont put my child on a horse with 30 days riding on them, no matter how "calm" people tell me they are. Also we want to ride the horse prior to us buying, something many kijiji people think is a strange request.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are a smart lady to not buy a horse that your kids can `grow up with`! Good on you for sticking to your guns and getting the right horse for the job.
I know you said you would look at something up to 16hands, but really if you can, smaller is better. They are large animals and the smaller ones help to build more confidence in kids. They can move on to a big one soon enough, they really never out grow the small ones.
I ride cutting horses, I am 5'10" and I am rarely on anything close to 15hands. They do bush and ranch work here too and never have any trouble.
I saw this website, it may be worth a look for you. They seem to be well used horses. Anything that has seen as much bush time as these guys have are usually pretty bomb proof. Maybe not a lot of finess, but good, solid horses.
http://www.northernhorse.com/mtntrail/
Good luck with your search, it is an exciting think buying the right horse for your kids!!!!

3Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden, PMd you.

4Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:28 am

abpride

I have my QH mare that was a kids horse before I got her.
unable to put a photo on here as I am brain dead.

12 year old,been a lesson horse,kind...but can be a cow to catch if you have another hard to catch horse in with her.If she is the only one she is in her glory.
She likes kids,loves to be fussed over etc.Better to go trail riding with another horse.She is one that likes to plod around the farm etc.

I have only rode her a couple of times this year,but she is one of those kind that can sit and never changes.I tend to let others ride her when we go out for a ride now as I have my Paso that I ride.
She is just a spare around here .Really to good for that.Paid a fortune for her but could work around your price range as I know she would be going to a good home!

your welcome to try her out for a month as I do feel it takes that long for them to settle in.

I dont think I would send the little kids off on her away from the yard by themselves,but im sure you wouldnt anyway till they get older.

Needs her feet done ,just waiting on the guy to get up here and do them.

5Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Coopslave for the link, I have been mulling that over, but with hubby going in Friday for Knee Surgery not sure how right it would be of me to jet off to a horse sale and leave him here alone. Evil or Very Mad
I got your PM and let me know what you find.
The horse my youngest rides now is a 30 year old TB/QH cross, stands 16.2 HH and is a very gentle soul. That is why I was not too afraid to have a larger horse either. My preference would be 14 to 15 HH.
Abpride maybe we could come have a look at her once hubby is more mobile and see what she is like.

6Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:56 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hope you find a good one for her Jayme...and stand firm on riding the horse before you buy it, this is not a "strange" request and I couldn't imagine buying a horse or car with out a "test drive"!
Granted with some types of horses, that first ride with a strange person on them, you may have to cut them a little slack, but NOT the kind of horse you are looking for!
You don't want the horse that reacts drastically at first or acts up "just because they are not used to you".
You should be able to jump on and off (either side) and ride all over with your legs flapping around with not much more reaction than a slightly bemused epxression of tolerance from the horse...
You can tell a lot about the horse just by saddling it up and walking it around by watching its reactions to stuff, and remember to check the hooves for signs of founder..

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes the first pony we ever bought we never checked for founder, big mistake, 3 weeks after being here she got so sore on her front feet she wouldnt even walk, only lay down. Poor thing. But thankfully we were able to exchange her for the pony cross we have now, she is not as well trained but getting there, and no feet issues.
I will keep looking, but guess I shouldnt be in a big rush since winter is coming and riding doesnt get done as often. Just hope our old guy gets an ok check up next week at the vet and can get him back into condition for winter.

8Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

yeah winter is coming but in a way lots of people are happy to sell horses now that they aren't using so they don't have to chore them all winter...
I know the founder thing too but got fooled by dirty feet, had mud on the hooves so you couldn't see the telltale bumpy lines...so it is not too much to ask to get a bucket of water and wash off a horse's feet so you can see the hoof clearly, something I didn't think to do one time.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

9Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 pm

abpride

No problem
come whenever you want or if you find something else that you like
go for it.

Your best off to buy in the fall and winter...come spring that horse that was such and such has now jumped up in price.

I am in no hurry to sell this mare,she can stay for life for all the trouble she is.

Hit quicksand yesterday and sure wish it was her I was on.
The Paso lost his mind and then left me after I hit the slop face first.
He didnt go far ,but she wouldnt have gone into it first off and would never have left me.

He is a bit brain dead , but smooth as glass to ride.
When I stay on his back haha
going to look at helmets,never wore one in my life but dont think my head can take to many more thumps.

please do NOT buy a horse at a sale unless you can ride it before hand.

10Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:17 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

One other hint with stable horses or trail ride horses, be sure to ride them outside and away from other horses to see how they react. We have had experiences where they would bring another horse with us on our "test" ride and the horse was fine, but when we got it home all heck busted loose as they were what we call "nose to tail" horses. All they had ever known were to follow. Alot of stable horses that are lesson horses have never been out of the stable barn or pen so when you get them away from that situation again, trouble. Unless you are planning to only ride within arenas. Just a couple thoughts that we have had from experience. Hopefully you can find a good sound older horse!! Good luck!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

11Childs horse wanted Empty Re: Childs horse wanted Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:34 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

abpride wrote:I have my QH mare that was a kids horse before I got her.
unable to put a photo on here as I am brain dead.

12 year old,been a lesson horse,kind...but can be a cow to catch if you have another hard to catch horse in with her.If she is the only one she is in her glory.
She likes kids,loves to be fussed over etc.Better to go trail riding with another horse.She is one that likes to plod around the farm etc.

I have only rode her a couple of times this year,but she is one of those kind that can sit and never changes.I tend to let others ride her when we go out for a ride now as I have my Paso that I ride.
She is just a spare around here .Really to good for that.Paid a fortune for her but could work around your price range as I know she would be going to a good home!

your welcome to try her out for a month as I do feel it takes that long for them to settle in.

I dont think I would send the little kids off on her away from the yard by themselves,but im sure you wouldnt anyway till they get older.

Needs her feet done ,just waiting on the guy to get up here and do them.

well, if Jayme isn't interested, I may talk to you about the horse....

mine got eaten this past spring, and I have been thinking about trying riding again to see if it would work therapy wise, but I need a pretty darn good horse for me to do that with (with all that I have going on...) I'm doing a bit better, but still have "troubles"--- I'll mention this to Mister and see what he thinks!

Jayme, I'll ask around and see what anyone has around here Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum