Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pre-Incubation: Won me a award read for Hypothesis

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hypothesis:

I believe that pre-incubation of hatching eggs has some truth and possibility. When I think about pre-incubation it makes sense that it could work. I think it will work because any eggs that were fertile would develop to a state in which they would remain fertile for a longer period of time than eggs that were not pre-incubated before starting the 21 day incubation. The purpose of this experiment is to find out if hatching eggs that are pre-incubated stand a better chance to hatch than eggs that were not pre-incubated. If pre-incubation increases the odds of eggs hatching this would increase how people can ship hatching.

Process :
I collected 3 day’s worth of eggs (about 18 eggs in total), I placed half of the eggs in the incubator that was set up and running for 3 hours to warm the eggs, to a state where they should be able to keep up to a month with out losing fertility. The other nine eggs were kept in plastic egg trays (where they were stored at ambient temperature for the three days). I did a “dry hatch” for this, I didn’t put any water in the trough for incubation. I filled up the troughs about half way (there were two troughs) at day 18. I used an automatic turner so the eggs were turned every four hours.

What I knew beforehand:

Before hand I knew that chicken eggs and some duck eggs are extremely hard to hatch, I keep breeding pair or trio of the best, it is hard to get a lager amount of eggs to set at once. I thought that pre-incubation, would be a good idea on how I could store eggs until I had enough to make the incubator full . There was a post on a discussion forum that I am a member on and this sparked my interest in this idea. From what I gathered there was a little bit of research done, but I was never able to find any.

Materials:

~ 18 Chicken Eggs

~ One Hova-bator 1588 egg incubator

~ One Hova-bator automatic egg turner

~ ½ cup of water for hatching

The Results:

The final total hatch rate (for both groups) was 83.3%, this is the best hatch rate I have gotten. The hatch rates for control group was 77.8% with 22.2% not hatching, the hatch rate for the pre-incubated group was 88.9%.With 11% of the pre-incubated eggs not hatching.

In the control group, there were two eggs that did not hatch. With the pre-incubated group 1 egg did not hatch. All eggs up until day 18 developed normally.

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

this well be repated obethe next few years to emaminate the varilables

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds very interesting.
So after the preincubation period how long did you store the eggs for?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hidden River wrote:Sounds very interesting.
So after the preincubation period how long did you store the eggs for?

3 day's to simulate shipping time not other shipping variables

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Really interesting.
So the purpose of doing this is to help with storage and shipping. How long after the warming period could a person store them for? And does it have to be exactly the 3 hours of warming to get them to the stage they are at?
Do you think it would be much different for ducks or goose eggs? Since their incubating takes longer?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hidden River wrote:Really interesting.
So the purpose of doing this is to help with storage and shipping. How long after the warming period could a person store them for? And does it have to be exactly the 3 hours of warming to get them to the stage they are at?
Do you think it would be much different for ducks or goose eggs? Since their incubating takes longer?

To be honest, i never adjusted the warming length from quail to chicken (different Mass). But yes as an egg get's larger it has more mass, so warming time should be increased. And when i warmed them, it was about 3 hours and 5 min.

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

WOOT!!! so this project won a bronze in life sciences, and i got the award from the NSAC for 100.00 Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum