Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mare's milk

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mare's milk Empty Mare's milk Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:12 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just had my first taste of mare's milk, fresh from the udder. Can't say I've ever been a fan of body temperature milk, no matter who it's from. But I notice some interesting things that maybe someone can confirm or deny.

Unlike whole cow's milk, which is very thick and creamy, mare's milk seems waterier. I'm thinking it does not have the butter fat content that cow milk does. Does mare milk have cream that will separate to the top?

Can a baby horse survive on cow milk as replacer, and would a baby cow survive on horse milk? Obvioulsy cows produce a lot MORE milk, as it seems the foal only nurses for 30 seconds at a time. Have to wonder what volume of milk she can actually consume in so short a time. But she nurses in very short bursts with long intervals between. Calves are heavier drinkers (booze and bovines have a long history).

THe kid wanted to try mare's milk so milked out about half a cup. We strained off the black gritty bits and gave it a taste. Will probably end up with parasites or something dreadful. It was watery, warm and sweet. BUt I think I'll stick to cow's milk.

2Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:12 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

We were told a foal does not thrive very well on cows milk, but does excellent on goats milk. Not sure about the rest of your questions. I know a few people who will take a nursing mare with them when they go camping and will drink fresh milk every day from the mare. I myself have never tried it as we always had the milk cows so never had the need.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:47 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The fat molecules in goat's milk are smaller than cow's. Whole goat's milk feels like skim cow's milk when you drink it. Maybe that is why foals do better on it.

4Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:14 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Another plug for goats milk!!! Very Happy Very Happy

5Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:31 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

karona wrote:Another plug for goats milk!!! Very Happy Very Happy

It is supposed to be easier to digest. I read that is why a lot of people start keeping goats.

and I like milk so it's good to have a backup plan. lol!

6Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:10 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I once read that mare's milk is very similar to human milk...I think that is what my aunt was raised on at first as her mom died giving birth to her(flu epidemic) and they did not have a milk cow at the time.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

MiryCreek, that is quite a story! Someone had to be very dedicated and care very much for your Aunt because milking a horse is not that easy!

The milk sat in the fridge overnight, no cream rose to the top. Hmmm.

8Mare's milk Empty Re: Mare's milk Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Not being a fan of any milk I can't imagine what it would taste like , but up in Russia there are people who milk there mares and depend on the milk for cheese, drink , and If I recall correctly they make a kind of liquor out of it as well ??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum