Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Large squishy crop

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Large squishy crop Empty Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:54 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a little silkie pullet that seems to have a larger then usual looking crop. When I feel it, it seems squishy. I thought impacted crop was a harder lumpy kind of a thing, is it possible this is what she has? If so or whatever it is does anyone have any idea what to do for her? She is very friendly and is eating and drinking OK although she seems very thin. Help please...

XOX Monika

2Large squishy crop Empty Re: Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Was it later in the day that you noticed it? Or first thing? Do they have food available at night? Is there any foul smell?

Hopefully she's just a little piggy but this might help narrow it down?
When my roo was sick and his crop was full (digestive system stopped working), the crop did feel much harder than usual.

3Large squishy crop Empty Re: Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks for replying Giddyup, it was later in the day that I noticed it but no foul smell or anything. It is actually quite balloony feeling for a lack of a better term. Does this description help?

XOX Monika

4Large squishy crop Empty Re: Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I would say she ate well if there are no other symptoms. I have a couple of birds that have huge crops compared to others.
If it were me I wouldn't worry unless something else seems awry, but hopefully some more experienced folks may have more questions, just in case.
oink oink!

5Large squishy crop Empty Re: Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:32 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sour crop maybe. I don`t have any expience with it, but it may be worth a google.

6Large squishy crop Empty Re: Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you don't already, try adding ACV to her waterer. It should help aid with digestion.

7Large squishy crop Empty Re: Large squishy crop Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I separated my little silkie tonite into a wire cage that is in with the rest of the girls and gave her food and water and treats etc.(Will add the ACV tomorrow, thanx). I walked around with her for awhile first just massaging her crop while looking over everyone in general. She really seemed to like the extra attention and I would say even the crop massage. It was quite large again tonight, if it that way again tomorrow nite I will take a picture to post. The thing I noticed the most is how happy she seemed to be on her own and then she discovered her dishes and I don't she she has stopped eating yet. I'm beginning to think that she just wasn't getting her share of the good food. Embarassed I will see how it goes just keeping her separate for now. I will feel just awful if she was just eating anything that she could cause she was so hungry she may have eaten something odd, like a twig or something. Time will tell!

XOX Monika

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum