Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh that spaghetti squash

+4
ars800
coopslave
lanaire-ranching
CynthiaM
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I didn't see a place for gardening stuff, I hope that it is OK to post about our food we eat, smiling. Maybe I missed a forum, but don't think there is one for gardening (is there? am I just not seeing things). Anyways, here goes:

Oh the garden is a massive eating place now, well, harvest. We are eating lettuce (Romaine only), spinach, sugar snap peas, pole beans in the beginning now, garlic, garlic greens, chives, zucchini, baby parsnips, carrots, broccoli, beets, picking cucumbers and the eating variety called Marketmore -- everything is maturing. The super sweet (sh2) variety of corn has been producing copious amounts of pollen that have been falling onto the silks of the cobs forming, soon the corn will be eating too. The dill that I sowed everywhere last fall has come up everywhere too, which has been good for helping to keep some pests away from plants are are very prone to sadness, like the rust carrot fly, haven't seen a trace of it, and I am sure that it has to do with the stinky but wonderful smell of dill. I had also thrown dill seed everywhere this early summer too, so that is coming up and growing, a continual supply of dill, in all sizes, shapes and maturity. Gonna have pickles comin' out our ears this year.

This is a new area to me for gardening, only having moved up here the June before last. Let me tell you, the amendments that I have done to the soil have been nothing short of miraculous. The amount of peat amendment has allowed me to water the gardens only a couple of times. And this is a very dry climate, although the beginning of the summer there was also copious amounts of rain. It is incredible. I honestly have never had so much food this early in the season to grace our dinnerplates. But I am lovin' it.

I meant to talk about spaghetti squash. We had dinner at our Daughter's home, which is about a 2 minute walk from our place, down the big long driveway. I prepared the spaghetti squash that I had picked (picked 4 of them, cooked only 1/2 of one, huge suckers!!!)

I cut the squash lengthwise, after cutting off the ends, scooped out the guts and put the squash on a plate. Covered it with some plastic wrap and microwaved it for 15 minutes. I would have cooked it for about 12 minutes next time. The oven I have in our trailer is awful so I can't use it for anything. I don't like to microwave to cook, but no choice. I do have a little toaster oven, I may try that, that way I don't have to use saran wrap to cook with, I don't like to cook with that either, just gives me the heebie jeebies, plastic heated up, ich. Oh well, it is what it is.

Whilst the squash was cooking, I prepared the other part.

That was a mass of crushed up garlic, from the garden, well, from the bunch of garlic hanging in the gazebo that is curing, onion all chopped up fine, some garlic scapes chopped up fine and a whack of chives from my chive garden. All sauteed in good ol' butter, with some salt and pepper of course. Once that was nicely cooked, I grated some fresh parmaesan cheese on it. Took the spaghetti squash out of the microwave, let it cool for a few minutes, scraped it out good and then mixed all the ingredients together.

Holy freakin' yummy. This is the first time that I have prepared spaghetti squash in this manner. I usually just bake it, add butter or spaghetti sauce. This was tops. And let me tell you, there was just not enough of that to go around, it was chomped up like there was nary a tomorrow.

My hat off to the squash that we know as spaghetti!! A work and a wonder. Try this stuff in with it the next time you cook it!!! Remember the salt, to me that enhances the flavour so much and is key to a good tasting veggie. Beautiful and wonderful days, CynthiaM.

2Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fantastic! I will make that this weekend! (except the butter though Sad poor me can't have butter right now --- ND has me on an Elimination Diet)

3Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:35 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm.....I may try planting some next year. They sound like they grow quickly. I can`t grow zuchs or cucs or squash up here because of the potential frosts. The squash I did try this year just barely survived the July frosts Rolling Eyes and now only have about 6 leaves. I don`t think they will produce anything for me.
I am jealous of the squash being grown, I am a butternut fan, lovem`!

4Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:07 am

ars800

ars800

I grew spaghettis squash this year too. 1 plant has taken over most of the garden. It's formed a triangle shape; at the base it is about 12 feet wide and the length of the triangle is about 20 feet. It's rather large and probably has about 25 spaghetti squash growing on it.

I know what you mean about the squash themselves being too large for a few people to eat. So, last year when we went through the interior, we stopped in Keremeos and bought some "Small Wonders" from one of the fruit stands. They are a spaghetti squash but the size of an elongated softball, perfect size for 2-3 people. I saved the seeds from a few last year and planted them this year. They seem to be doing well and hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have a few dozen.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

5Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ars800, those sound like they would be the perfect size. But something I do wonder about though, is if that type of squash is a hybrid. If it is, the resulting squash that you have from the seeds that you saved, may take after one or the other parent, it may not be the same as the original squash that you ate and saved seed from. This would only be if it was a hybrid. if it was an open-pollinated cultivar, it would be identical to the squash that you loved so much. I would be very interested to hear what the squash turns out like that you are growing. if it is the same as the original parent squash, I am going to ask you to save a few seeds for me, dry them out and I will send you a post paid envelope to send me some seed. That would be so much appreciated, and you would be spreading around the goodness of a teeny tiny spaghetti squash, which would be wonderful. You could put the seeds in that little envelop and it would cost you nothing more than a little work to save and dry, and a little work to get that envelope to the post office. Would you be willing to do this for me? I would appreciate it more than words could say. And one day, perhaps I could return this favour to you, you never know what works out in the wash. Can't wait to hear how your squash plants do and how the fruit compares to that which you obtained last year from your travels. have a most wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

6Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

CynthiaM wrote:Ars800, those sound like they would be the perfect size. But something I do wonder about though, is if that type of squash is a hybrid. If it is, the resulting squash that you have from the seeds that you saved, may take after one or the other parent, it may not be the same as the original squash that you ate and saved seed from. This would only be if it was a hybrid. if it was an open-pollinated cultivar, it would be identical to the squash that you loved so much. I would be very interested to hear what the squash turns out like that you are growing. if it is the same as the original parent squash, I am going to ask you to save a few seeds for me, dry them out and I will send you a post paid envelope to send me some seed. That would be so much appreciated, and you would be spreading around the goodness of a teeny tiny spaghetti squash, which would be wonderful. You could put the seeds in that little envelop and it would cost you nothing more than a little work to save and dry, and a little work to get that envelope to the post office. Would you be willing to do this for me? I would appreciate it more than words could say. And one day, perhaps I could return this favour to you, you never know what works out in the wash. Can't wait to hear how your squash plants do and how the fruit compares to that which you obtained last year from your travels. have a most wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

Ars800 you may be on to a good thing here. Maybe we would have to re-name it to the Ars800Island wonder!! Wink I too am curious if it is a hybrid or open pollinated.

XOX Monika

7Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

What would it take to bribe a squash out of you? Can I trade you for a dozen eggs? Ha ha ha, I am so funny!

8Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 pm

ars800

ars800

I will see how they turn out this year and if they turn into the small squash that I am hoping, I will definitely be saving a few for future plantings. And I am more than happy to send them out to anyone interested.

I will keep you updated and hopefully have seeds ready for everyone to plant next spring.

9Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I grew those small guys last year and they were perfect size.
I could almost cry reading your recipe, last winter I started having some allergic reactions to garlic, oh man, and of course I love it.
Asked the Dr. about it, thinking I would need to get an allergy test, he just said to avoid garlic, ugh....
Oh and I have never been allergic to anything in my life...
I have the most beautiful garlic growing in my raised bed this year, planted it last fall. The kids will enjoy it.
Do you know how many things have garlic in it??

10Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, didn't you get Farmchiq's email, I think we are meeting for breakfast tomorrow, hope you are in. I am bringing in tow, for both of you, spaghetti squash, another variety of garlic (Fish Lake #3, a good keeper and a perfectly medium zing and taste), some of each of beets, young parnips (thinnings, about the size of a hot dog wiener), green beans (I think more will be ready by tonight), no lettuce, that is done, think it is too hot, lots of Swiss chard, and zucchini, so get ready to grace your tables with my home grown stuff, smiling. You don't need to trade anything, consider it a gift from my critters and me, smiling again. Oh, do you pickle? Got millions of little pickling cucumbers coming on hot and fast. Oh yes, dill coming out my ears, all over the place, self-sowed from last year and the seeds I set to wind this spring, so don't buy dill. (Farmchiq are you listening, smiling again).

Ars800, that would be wonderful, let's see what the squashes bring.

Chickeesmom, I wonder how you could have become allergic to garlic. I would be interested to hear what your symptoms are, I really would. Save your garlic for sure though. From my understanding of how allergies sometimes can work, one can be allergic and then sometimes not. Are the symptoms mild enough that you can test if your allergy has gone Surprised Shocked . That would be just awful. Tell us what your symptoms were, how bad they were. Perhaps it was another culprit, but you thought it garlic? A combination of garlic and something, that if it was garlic alone you would be OK? Rats, garlic is such a staple food. Have a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

11Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:18 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well it effects my tongue, it goes numb, and I am pretty sure it is garlic. It lasts for along time after I have eaten anything with garlic in it. I will get desperate one day and try it in something.

12Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chickeesmom, oh that is awful, I would surely think that it is the garlic, but what a drag. Wonder if there is other things in the same family that do the same thing? Onions? Have you ever delved into it to see if there is something you may eat with garlic to counteract the reaction? Just a thought, you probably have, and you probably just have to not eat garlic. Oh dear. I wonder if you could get an allergy shot, smiling. Have a beautiful and great day, CynthiaM.

13Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My mother is allergic to garlic as well. What is even more bizarre is that it is only the fresh stuff. Anything that has been `processed` is ok for her. She actually vomits immediately, quite a violent, quick reaction.
My oldest sister now cannot eat it now either. Same sort of reaction.
This would break my heart, I eat it all the time and lots of it!

14Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh no, Coopslave, that is bad, I love garlic and we ate it most days. My older sister has the same reaction, and my younger sister can't tolerate onions. I make up by eating onions.
I haven't dug any up from my garden yet, but that will be when I give it a try in something. It is one of the only things that didn't get hailed out.

15Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:44 am

dj

ars800 your squash sound wonderful, how did you get them to grow so fast and mature already? My hubbard are the size of a grapefruit, 1 per plant, not a good year. I'm curious to see if they breed true.

16Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:06 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

dj, I don't think ars800's spaghetti squash are mature yet. He said in the last sentence that in the next few weeks they should have a few dozen. So I think that they are just maturing now, but there a lots.

You live on the coast, it is very cool down there this year in particular. I think that has contributed to the lateness of the squash. When we lived in Maple Ridge (for like 30 years) (moving up here the June before last), our squashes took well into the beginning of September/late August to mature. It didn't matter how early I started the plants. I think it is just the moist ground, the cooler days and certainly the dewy, damp nights. Sure does make for ease of not having to water the gardens too much. Back in our old life, I think that maybe once or twice during a growing season there would be a heavy need to water, my Daughter, who lives up here where we are now, could not believe that I never needed to water veggie nor flower gardens. The beautiful of the rainforest of the Pacific Northwest. Have a wonderful and most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

17Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:00 am

dj

Good morning Cynthia, must have been half asleep last night Embarassed . It's a strange year. My plants are giants, more foliage than fruit this year. My squash plants aren't looking too productive. Hopefully we get Indian Summer and enough warmth to mature large squash.

18Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:32 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

dj, the squash will mature, the coast have a most beautiful Indian Summer in most cases. Wonder why so much foliage and so little flowering, oh well, savour the enormous squash that will come, smiling. Those days of summer. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

19Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:14 am

ars800

ars800

Yes, CynthiaM, that is correct. The squash are still small and probably won't be done for awhile but the plants are HUGE! They also seem quite productive. I have 3 larger plants and the largest one (about 80 square feet) probably has about 2-3 dozen blooms/squash on it. The others have about 10-15. I didn't realize they would be that productive, I expected only a few per plant.

20Oh that spaghetti squash Empty With Pictures Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:51 pm

ars800

ars800

Well, I went outside this morning to take a few pics of the garden. We just got the place last year so this garden is just starting out and is a little rough but I took pictures anyway.

The first one is the wandering spaghetti squash. I put it in the side of a raised bed, hoping it would fall out and spread across the undeveloped part of the fenced garden. It did. The raised bed it is in is 4 feet x 20 feet, and it is 3 feet between beds.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is another squash that we planted just beside the fence in the natural soil around here, just to see if it would grow. Yup. It has lots of blossoms but you can only see a few in the picture. It grew about 7 feet long across the garden and started climbing up the 4 foot high tomato plant stakes.

We also planted a "Chiapas" tomato plant this year. The lady I bought it from said it would grow large if uncut or groomed. Well... you can see in this photo (the fence posts are 8 feet apart) that it is about 7 feet in diameter and has at least 200 flowers on it. No fruit has developed yet but I'm guessing it's because it took so long to get hot. Does anyone else have any of these and if so, have they started producing fruit yet or do you know much about them?

The large leaves in the photo are a Bullsheart tomato. So far they are about 6.5 feet high.

21Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You must have quite a green thumb ars800, the plants look lush and yes huge! Are you having any trouble with powder mildew on any of your plants? A few of my squash plants do and I am worried about it. Your tomato looks incredible too, wow, I can't wait to see what that produces for you.

XOX Monika

22Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:16 pm

ars800

ars800

I wouldn't say I have a green thumb. I'm more of the plant it, leave it alone mentality.

I am starting to see what looks like powdery mildew on the larger squash, the others look OK right now. I'm going to try the 50:50 milk/water spray to see if that helps, or maybe the baking soda/waater spray. Hopefully I can catch it early enough that it will work.

I hate spraying any chemical around here, I'm just not a fan, especially with the chickens running around the yard.

23Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

ars800 can you tell me more about the baking soda spray? I would like to try it on a plant or two to see if it works. I started by snipping any leaves that looked suspicious but I ended up with a rather skimpy zucchini plant doing that. Now it has spread to my lovely pumpkin plant and I really don't want to give that one a haircut too! I have a number of nice pumpkins on that. Appreciate the recipe if you have a minute.

XOX Monika

24Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:13 pm

ars800

ars800

Well, the jury is still out on baking soda but the recommended amounts can be found here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[url=http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html#Baking Soda Spray][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Soda Spray[/url]

From what I have been able to discern, it seems that most people recommend the milk itself rather than the baking soda. The milk seems to be the active ingredient and several sites/people recommend anything from a 10:90 to a 50:50 milk solution...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

25Oh that spaghetti squash Empty Re: Oh that spaghetti squash Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks so much for the links. I can't wait to get out there tomorrow morning to try the milk spray. I will take some before pictures and then wait awhile for some after pictures.

XOX Monika

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum