Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

do i need a candeler?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1do i need a candeler? Empty do i need a candeler? Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i cant seem to see throught he BCM eggs with my LED flashlight sunny would a candeler help? or is it a waste? i am sooo curious to see how many eggs are good but i cant see through them Sad

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

2do i need a candeler? Empty Re: do i need a candeler? Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We found a flashlight at Home Hardware that works for dark eggs. Its a 200 lumen one... crazy bright, like blinding if you shine it in your eyes bright. We tried candling a maran egg during the day and it worked!! Mind you my maran eggs are not as dark as some. Hubby says look on ebay for a tactical flashlight. Good deals! He is going to add a rubber ring to the end to make it better for holding the egg. Very Happy

Oh, and I think he said it was only 20 bucks.

3do i need a candeler? Empty Re: do i need a candeler? Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:44 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I bought an intense candler but it was not bright enough for my Wheaten Maran eggs. Although I did find that I could see somewhat into the eggs closer to hatch date (day17/18) than the first week or two.

You may want to go the high powered flashlight route.

4do i need a candeler? Empty Re: do i need a candeler? Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think with the dark eggs you will have to wait until close to the end like chicoryfarms says and then you are lucky if you can see an air sac.

5do i need a candeler? Empty Re: do i need a candeler? Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:28 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thank you all for the replies! i will try those flashlights like you said and if not i guess i have to wait a couple weeks! thx!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

6do i need a candeler? Empty Re: do i need a candeler? Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

And I just kept all the Marans in the incubator. Tomorrow it gets turned off and no explosions. Sounds like a rare occurrence if that's your concern.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum