Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aggressive Chick Sparring

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Aggressive Chick Sparring Empty Aggressive Chick Sparring Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

When I went to lock up my 2 week old chicks tonight, four blue Ameraucana were in the middle of a no holds barred fight while the rest watched from the side lines. It looked so ridiculous, up until the moment I noticed two were bleeding from their little pea combs! And when I tried to break it up they ignored me completely and kept going at each other over my hands. I removed the two bleeders, cleaned them up, and now everyone is sleeping in a big pile like nothing happened. What the heck is going on? Shocked

I’ve seen chicks spar before, but NEVER like this, and never so young. They have ample space in the trailer, fresh water daily and as much free-ration food as they can pack away. Temps have also been good. I only have to turn the red 100 watt bulb on in the evenings. The only thing I can think of that I’ve done differently in the last day is changing the shop radio station (I leave it going 24/7 to help ward off predators) from Classic Rock to Golden Oldies. The different music can’t be driving them crazy, can it?!

I’m at a complete loss as too what the problem could be and can’t help but wonder if this is what happened to my other chick. Sad Any thoughts or advise would be most appreciated. confused I’m so worried my chicks are going to seriously injure each other.

2Aggressive Chick Sparring Empty Re: Aggressive Chick Sparring Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

About 2 weeks ago I had a 3 week old faverolle cockerel and buff orp cockerel sparring ruthlessly without either backing down for a long time. After 3 or 4 days of regular sparring between them I found an injury on one of them, isolated it for 24 hours till the swelling from the injury went down, and then removed its barrier to mingle with the others and within 15 seconds he and the orp started at each other again. But then, it suddenly stopped. Hopefully yours will too.

3Aggressive Chick Sparring Empty Re: Aggressive Chick Sparring Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:30 am

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

Wow...I love watching chicks spar...but, I've never seen blood! They look so funny when they stand tall and puff their chests out!! It could be the music...maybe it's like how light affects pecking - red light reduces it while white light encourages it...just a thought

4Aggressive Chick Sparring Empty Re: Aggressive Chick Sparring Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I only play CBC to my birds and there is NEVER any fighting, I am sure that's what is causing all the rucus!!!!!!!
Ha ha ha...
But really, could be they are so close to being the top dog in the barn, ummm I mean top chick in the group, they just had to battle a bit more, they will almost always work it out themselves.
It does make for some fun chick watching.

5Aggressive Chick Sparring Empty Re: Aggressive Chick Sparring Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't have any suggestions. But whatever you do, don't play them any gangsta rap!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

6Aggressive Chick Sparring Empty Re: Aggressive Chick Sparring Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

LOL, you guys are funny. Definitely no rap music around here.

Anyway, things seemed to have settled down and all is well again in chick land. I guess it was just a case of too many underdogs wanting the position of top chick. Having this many little raptors erm chicks all at once is a new experience for me. They sure do act different when there are a lot more of them. I need to get my butt moving and finish the run on the mini-barn asap so they have access to the outdoors.

PS, music has been changed back just in case. geek Thanks everyone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum