Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do I know when it's time

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How do I know when it's time on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Golden Member
Golden Member
So this is my first time with letting the hens raise the chicks. But it just occurred to me I don't know when it's time to get mom out or will she decide that herself?
All my hens are banty cochin x's raising lrg x meat chicks with some layer replacements. I worry that I will overload them. I mean so far everyone is doing well but you get looking around and planning your next step. And pretty soon I've over thought it lol

2 Re: How do I know when it's time on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Farmer Bob

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
The hen will decide herself! She will get tired of the chicks and start ignoring them around 5 to 6 weeks old. She may even get annoyed and give them a peck or so if they bother her too much at that stage.

3 Re: How do I know when it's time on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Golden Member
Golden Member
Thanks bob. I kinda figured so but thought I better check with the pros

4 Re: How do I know when it's time on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Jonny Anvil

Admin
I second that notion, Mamma hen will make the decision herself and will let her young know when it's time to fend for themselves. Like Farmer Bob mentioned, somewhere around 4-6 weeks she will begin to stop mothering them.

~Breeding for 2015~: Show Quality Large Fowl Light Sussex (J. Samis Lines)
Small personal line of Coronation Sussex & Buff Sussex. Currently working on operation "Project Silver Sussex"
Also breeding Top Quality Black Orpingtons.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum