Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Protection from ravens and eagles

+2
Farmer Bob
Bessie
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Protection from ravens and eagles Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Bessie

Hi all -

Another question:  We have eagles and ravens, which means we will have hungry baby eagles and ravens in the spring.

At my old place, I covered the run with netting to protect from egg-stealing ravens.  However, the new place is shadier, and I don't want to make more shade over the run with netting.  The eagles never bothered the hens.

Have people had success with fishing line or mylar tape or other methods?  I'd really like to hear what works.

Thanks.

2Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Re: Protection from ravens and eagles Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I use netting to keep the Ravens and hawks out. I don't worry about the eagles, they don't appear interested. I strongly suspect that the Ravens would get used to anything like fishing line and such very quickly.

3Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Re: Protection from ravens and eagles Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Bessie

I had to put a double ended clip on the gate latch last year, because the ravens would just open the gate and waltz in.  They are so brazen, it would have been funny if they didn't take so many eggs.

4Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Re: Protection from ravens and eagles Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:52 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Netting.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Re: Protection from ravens and eagles Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

I use netting too because not only were they stealing eggs but they were killing the actual birds too. I caught them in the act.

6Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Re: Protection from ravens and eagles Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:13 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Netting.

I've heard strands of wire will discourage raptors but the ravens would figure it out really quickly.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Protection from ravens and eagles Empty Re: Protection from ravens and eagles Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:04 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ravens here will test the tarps I string over the stucco wire, to see if they can get through - they have shredded every tarp on the place, testing.  they have not got through the bird netting though.  I have most of my pens covered in good quality bird netting,and protected on the ground with electric nets.  We have numerous eagles, ravens and other pests....it doesn't always works, but I have more live birds than some of my neighbors.  I recently went through a bout where I had a martin killing the chickens out back, a mink getting ducks up front, ravens eating newborn piglets and racoons feasting on what ever was left over...and if you saw my place and my fences and nets, you would wonder how!  But if there is a will, there is a way.

As a kid, we had layers of binder twine over our turkey and chicken pens - what would happen, is raptors would get in but not be able to get out with the victim, so would go for a new victim, and what should have been a one-per-night event became a mass slaughter. We had an owl and a hawk do this - they dive feet first, so can get through the wire, but can't get back out.

Last edited by islandgal99 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum