Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barred chicks

+4
Hidden River
IzzyD
CynthiaM
Farmer Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Barred chicks Empty Barred chicks Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:23 pm

birish

These barred chicks are from our splash chanty roo named DW and a black Americana hen we hatched out.I locked her out of the nest boxes and a month later she showed up with 9 chicks.6 have white legs,2 orange legs,both orange legged ones are barred and 4 white legged ones are also barred.The white splotched one is off DW and a white Amer. that is a daughter of DW.She too flew out of the pen and showed up 2 days after the black with 7 chicks.Barred chicks DSCF1089Barred chicks DSCF1091Barred chicks DSCF1094

2Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Looks like you have more luck with hens going broody than I have, good deal! One of the reasons I chose orpingtons was that they have retained some broodiness...but not very much in my flock. I only average one hen a year.

3Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:29 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

How nice, yes, broody hens are sure a blessing. Those look like pretty things, I always have thought the barring gene makes such lovely looking birds. I had one of my Coopers (a hybrid Coopslave was working on , marans X partridge chantecler) go missing for a long time. She came back. Only thing I could figure was that she was broody somewhere, probably sitting on dud eggs and gave up. My buff orpington lines have a few each year that always want to mother, I can count on them, that's why its good to have lots of hens for just eggs, smiling that big smile. I think if you threw some cochin in with orpington, you would have rock star mothering hens. Thanks for sharing, have a beautiful day. CynthiaM.

4Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:48 pm

IzzyD

IzzyD

Nice chickens Smile

5Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:18 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the looks of those barred birds Brian. I would almost call them cuckoo since the barring isn't quite distinct. Still nice lookers. What did the roosters look like?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 am

birish

The cockerals look the same as the pullets,the front one in the batch picture is one.They"re really growing fast<the cockerals are bigger than Mom at18 weeks.

7Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:30 pm

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

Very Happy beautiful birds, what a nice surpise!

8Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:45 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Very Happy amazing what nature can do

9Barred chicks Empty Re: Barred chicks Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

FUN!

Sponsored content