Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Carrot out of the garden today...November 9

+5
CynthiaM
heda gobbler
bcboy
DCChick
Cathyjk
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well finally took the last of the garden out today... here is one of many 'big' carrots... also took out a whole bed of spinach (managed 4 plantings this year)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Now THAT'S a carrot!!

I still have some left in the ground, but it's going to be about -19 for a few days so I am not sure that they will be ok after that...

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Do you remember the variety name of that monster!!! affraid

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'd be tempted to keep it by the door and use it as a club!

That's quite a carrot!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I can go and find the name of the seeds.. these were the winter storing carrots, we also had summer eating carrots (not so hot for storage).

HA! A club.. and yes, that would work (made me giggle)

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well for goodness sakes! That is one huge honkin' carrot. Eat that sucker, it would feed ya for a month of meals, smiling that big smile. I would like to know if the carrots that got this big were woody, or how did they taste anyways....that is just amazing, I would like to know the variety name too. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

IzzyD

IzzyD

Amazing!!
I would like to know too Wink

yardbirds23

yardbirds23

Shocked With carrots THAT BIG....you'd only need to plant a dozen or two...

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The carrots are Napoli

From Vesey's website:

"Extra early hybrid. Bright 7-8 inch, slightly tapered roots have excellent sweet flavour, and dark green tops. Fantastic as an early bunching carrot. Napoli keeps well in the fall and becomes very sweet when harvested late."

Haven't eaten this carrot yet, but have had other big ones from the garden the past few days and none have been woody.. nice sweet carrots.

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cathyjk wrote:The carrots are Napoli

From Vesey's website:

"Extra early hybrid. Bright 7-8 inch, slightly tapered roots have excellent sweet flavour, and dark green tops. Fantastic as an early bunching carrot. Napoli keeps well in the fall and becomes very sweet when harvested late."

Haven't eaten this carrot yet, but  have had other big ones from the garden the past few days and none have been woody.. nice sweet carrots.

Thanks!!!
Have you ever had a carrot go to seed in your garden? Try leaving one over winter and see if it will turn to seed?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

IzzyD

IzzyD

The best corn I ever had was seed I bought from Vesseys, when eating it raw your lips are sticky cause its so sweet.
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try them next year. I always love trying something new

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

WOW, I'm buying some of that carrot seed. I've never seen such a big carrot. That's just incredible. Bet if you had entered it in a fair

you would have won 1st prize, hands down. cheers cheers

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bcboy wrote:
Cathyjk wrote:The carrots are Napoli

From Vesey's website:

Thanks!!!
Have you ever had a carrot go to seed in your garden? Try leaving one over winter and see if it will turn to seed?

No never have left carrots in to see if they go to seed, but I bet it would be interesting experiment.

Mads

We did a trial row of Napoli this year, they were one of our highest yielding carrots, we are waiting to see how well they store. The taste was okay, but not nearly as sweet as our main carrot variety, Nelson. We also grew another new variety for late storage. It is a Bolero hybrid called Naval, Bolero being an incredible storage variety, right up until the following July with little shrink. However, Bolero has an "off" flavour which has prevented it from being very popular as a commercial variety. We are hoping that Naval has the storage abilities of Bolero with better taste.

Many carrot varieties will get that size if you give them enough space and plenty of water. This year was a great year for carrots, lots of moisture in September which is when carrots bulk up and require lots of moisture.

Mads

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mads, would love to hear how the variety Naval performs for you...have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum