Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New bigger babies

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New bigger babies Empty New bigger babies Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:21 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am experimenting - partially for my own curiosity, partially to satisfy a constant request for "freezer pigs" and larger heritage style hogs, and partially because the opportunity presented itself.  I have read that the outcrosses are very evident, and so wanted to see for myself. And I do have requests to breed heritage girls to my boar, but I haven't been able to say what the piglets will be like. 

I was able to obtain 2 F1 Ossabaw x Berkshire sows.  This was the dad with one of the Berkshire ladies...I don't know if a stool was provided or not, but he apparently got the job done even though he's much smaller!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These F1 girls are very tame, very well mannered and very Berkshire in looks and size. I was curious to know how many generations after an outcross it would take for the Ossabaw traits to become dominant again.  Well F1 generation in what I see in the two mommas, there is a whole lot of Berkshire and the only thing Ossabaw are the spots and some of the head traits. 

And here is the F2 generation - which are already looking to be built more like Berkshires with the body shape, head shape and thick haunches, and they are growing like weeds but all my piglets do. I have another litter I'm anxiously waiting for... Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2New bigger babies Empty Re: New bigger babies Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Those are nice looking piglets. Interesting to see the crosses and hear your experiences on them. Going to more interesting as time goes

on. cheers

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum