Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The incubators are finally off!!!

+7
heda gobbler
k.r.l
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
Blue Hill Farm
Piet
viczoe
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The incubators are finally off!!! Empty The incubators are finally off!!! Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:55 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Today the last Hatcher is turned off yippee!!. I have actually been done for about 5 weeks and just I had my last chicks out and along came numerous friends who I put eggs in for, being an enabler, sure I can hatch yet more chicks for them and the last babies are out and I quickly hit the shut off switch on the Hatcher. Glad the season is over now time to watch all the youngsters grow, my favorite time.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

2The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Same here, done exept for some friends hatching a few more.
Also a broody whandotte left on 12 Barnevelder eggs. The first ones are looking good already and hearing some crowing. Got most of them off heat and are out on the grassfield now.
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Watching the youngsters grow out over the summer is my favorite time too. sunny 

Well I thought I was done hatching, but now I'm not so sure. And it's all due to this one hen I have who I've been trying to get offspring from since spring began...I've had three different cocks over her and not a single fertile egg. It's very disheartening because she has this certain youthful pullet look that I'd love to replicate, and lays a large sized sky blue egg. I'm about ready to throw in the towel...but what if number four is the lucky one?

Sigh...I'm going to be really bummed if she turns out to be a dud.  Sad

4The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Turned mine off about three weeks ago.  Around here you had better have those hatchlings at a decent size before September hits!

Except...I am about to turn it on again!  I have a bunch of late layers!   Twisted Evil

5The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am half way through my last hatch of the year! Excited to be DONE. Incubator has been running since early February!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:33 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just finished incubating, had to go longer than I wanted due to a cockerel who wasn't doing his job. But now have a good number of each of my breeds.

Still setting pheasant eggs though. And there are two broody bantam hens sitting on black d'Uccle eggs.

7The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:39 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Find my hens start going broody about now anyway, so if I really want more chicks I put a broody in a quiet safe space and let her rip....

A few more turkey eggs in the incubator though, lots of order for poults still coming in!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

8The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:57 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm just starting to hatch my crele orpingtons!  Lol. My poor bator will be running for a while yet

Last edited by smokyriver on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

9The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:13 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geeze, interesting to hear all that others are doing. I have been hatching in small numbers cause I have had roosters that clearly have favourites. With half broody, the dudes have no choice but to go with others, smiling. But, then too, hardly any eggs to gather for incubation, the girls have become lazy with the heat I guess, they are not molting, so whatever. I have retired my buff rooster and two of his sons will soon be taking over, they are old enough now to be put with girls, the girls have been lacking a leader, so will be happy for these two. I am hoping egg production begins again so I can do an August to September hatch to grow out over the winter. Odd lives that we live, happy dancing!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

10The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sadly the last batch of eggs we put in the incubator are all clear.... really sad as this was our most important pairing.  Sad  His fertility is great but he is a gentleman so when the hen said "Not today dear, I have a headache" he actually listened. Such a funny boy! He brings her gifts. It is enjoyable to watch him find a special stick, drop it at her feet and do his mating dance.....if the gift is not acceptable (it NEVER is) he finds another stick, leaf or bit of grass and tries again. Cute but not helpful when we are trying to hatch a few chicks from them.

11The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Funny that - turkey fertility falls right off - this last hatch at 10 days over 50% eggs were clear, after almost 90% fertility in the spring. As Cole Porter says "it's too darn hot"!

I wonder if the broodies have the same rate of fertility in the eggs they are sitting on?

The Shetland geese were sitting on a clutch of eggs but gave up after 2 weeks - all the eggs were blanks.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

12The incubators are finally off!!! Empty Re: The incubators are finally off!!! Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 am

Beep

Beep

heda gobbler wrote:Find my hens start going broody about now anyway, so if I really want more chicks I put a broody in a quiet safe space and let her rip....

A few more turkey eggs in the incubator though, lots of order for poults still coming in!

Ha! If you can't fill all your turkey orders, send some my way, Heda Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum