Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's good and what not fertilized

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What's good and what not fertilized Empty What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you have 3 from 1 batch and only 1 hatches does this mean the rest are bombs in the making? Should I be pulling them to make room for more?

2What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:16 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never had one bomb yet..I think patiently waiting would be best...did you ever candle them?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

No I have never candled them. Mainly because I am beyond newb at this. ie why I'm asking such beginner questions. I honestly never thought I would have any success at this Smile I'm basically shooting from the hip.

4What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:27 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

You're doing fine then.  If they were infertile they will most likely not be stinky anyhow so I would leave them another couple days  
Are they all same breed?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:56 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's not too late to candle!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are the same breed. I have a Dark Cornish Roo and the hens are Cochin x's

What would be the best way to candle? PLEASE keep in mind I have no professional equipment. Lol. The best I could do is a flashlight???  Embarassed 

Not saying that you need pro equipment but I'm sure it is easier with it

7What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Mads

Simplest canndler is simply a flashlight with a piece of cardboard. A piece of cardboard big enough to cover the flashlight and then cut out a hole about the size of a nickel. You can obviously go much fancier, but this will get you by in a pinch.

Mads

8What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you.
I will be trying this tonight Smile

9What's good and what not fertilized Empty Re: What's good and what not fertilized Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:35 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have 2 brinsea candlers but the BEST candler is the flashlight (camera flash) on my iPhone!!!

I think the only worry with candling for bombs is when there is other girls around to steal eggs from the nest (egg gets cold and dies) or a rough girl who cracks or smooshes eggs. If the air cell above is clear you are good. If its yellow and or its runny inside remove very very carefully Smile

A clear egg will be just fine even at the end of hatch but an egg that is cracked or that the baby inside has died is going to be a bomb.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum