Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How emotionally invested does one need to be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How emotionally invested does one need to be? on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Golden Member
Golden Member
Ok, so I have posted recently that I am trying a natural incubation. Well in recent weeks I have accidentally pulled out a fertile egg and not realized it till it was too late. Which lead me to be very upset with myself. Mostly for not being more diligent. Well today I actually had one hatch fully dry and I some how missed this and it died.Now I can only speculate how most likely it was pecked and smooshed but I don't know for sure. My DH is super happy and has told me not to be so hard on myself but I missed it. I never paid enough attention to what I had going on and didn't get into the brooder in time and thus have suffered an actual loss of a real chick. My 1st real chick. Something that I never thought I would be doing.

I am super disappointed but happy that I was able to actually do this and I guess I'm on the right track and will be more diligent in the near future. But this just feels so terrible. So what does a person do to logic it out? Do I even bother am I just stressing about nothing or just being selfish? What do you do.

Farmer Bob

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
Well...you feel terrible...and learn from it and move on... We've all been there, and will be again in one way or another. When our last hen started setting, we decided she was not getting off the nest to eat...so we picked her up...and an egg was tucked in her wing, and came crashing down, breaking it and the egg it hit. We were devastated that we had done this. Don't beat yourself up over it is all I can say.

authenticfarm

Golden Member
Golden Member
I have had three broodies this year. The first, an experienced broody, started killing her chicks as they hatched. I removed the remaining eggs and put them in the incubator and hatched three - and one I think will be my next rooster, so I am glad I removed them.

The other two broodies were first timers and they have both been amazing mothers.

Using broodies comes with a lot of risk. I don't mind giving them a few eggs to satisfy their maternal urges, but the bulk of my hatching will always be done in one of my incubators.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
You are doing fine.  Nothing wrong with feeling badly.  If you obsess over every death and can't move on, there is a problem though because there will be death...and often by your own hand.

I was a mess when I first had to put down imperfect chicks.  I still feel badly, but it does not crush me the same way it used to.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]