Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eggplant Experiment

+4
Bowker Acres
mirycreek
bcboy
Farmer Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Eggplant Experiment Empty Eggplant Experiment Sat May 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So, my eggplants are starting to bloom.  I had no idea that the blooms would be so pretty.  I find them to be very pretty!  I planted 6 in the greenhouse.  This is the first bloom!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Sat May 17, 2014 8:40 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes the do look nice.
So they are in your green house now or did you transplant them in your garden?
Pictures of the rest of your garden and green house please. Sun

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

3Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Sat May 17, 2014 10:05 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pretty indeed.  They are like little shooting stars.  I once plantd eggplant as bedding plants and grew some little eggplants but they were so bitter I didnt like them.  I remember my mum grew them and they were interchangeable with zuchini... dhe would dip them in milk and flour and fry them til crisp
How do you plan to eat them farmer bob?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Sun May 18, 2014 7:44 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The eggplants are in the greenhouse.  I have an 8 x 8 greenhouse with 6 eggplants, 4 peppers, and 7 tomatoes from upside down hanging baskets.  I have just started to plant the garden this weekend.  So not a lot to take pictures of yet!   Very Happy    Yep...rolled in milk and flour and fried up is exactly what I had in mind for eating the eggplants!  I'm also imagining stuffed egg plant!  Had stuffed zuccini last year, and that was delicious!  I wonder if I will have to artificially pollinate the eggplant because it is in the green house?  I never had much luck with the zuccini until I moved them outside where the bugs could pollinate them better.

Here is a picture of the biggest pepper so far.  I have never grown peppers before either, and I find it odd that the plants are still so small when the peppers start growing.  I started these too early in the house, and they started to bloom indoors before I transplanted them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

5Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Sun May 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I got a few things planted in the greenhouse today as well.  I planted 20 tomatoes, 30 peppers and 13 cucumbers so far.  I have to go see if I can find some eggplant transplants as I promised a friend that I would give it a try for her.  My peppers are about 8 inches tall and just starting to make buds.  I am so exited!

Last edited by Bowker Acres on Sun May 18, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poor typing skills!)

6Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Sun May 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

8 inches is a lot taller than my pepper plants Bowker Acres. How old are your plants? I'm not sure if mine are dwarf or what...but they seem really small to be having peppers. 8 inches and just starting to bud makes a lot more sense to me!

7Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Sun May 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I planted mine about the end of February. I do find that if a plant was stressed somehow during it's early growth phase it will be shorter and produce flowers a lot sooner than it would otherwise. It is really cute though! Maybe now that it is out in the ground it will grow a bit.

8Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Is there any chance that your soil has a mix of fertilizer that is encouraging flower set more than foliage growth?
I ask because with Haskaps you need to fertilize backwards, as they set fruit and then they grow. Just curious if anyone knows if fertilizer may be the influencing factor.

9Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Mon May 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Interesting thread!

Following Smile

10Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My tomatoes and peppers are still inthe house.It is 11 degrees and very cold outside, raining and miserable. Ever since I can remember the leaves have always been out on the mothersday weekend.There are no leaves on the trees here yet. Maybe a bad year for gardens Crying or Very sad 

11Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I must agree...the flowers are beautiful! Very happy looking plants!

12Eggplant Experiment Empty Re: Eggplant Experiment Mon May 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

hmmm...well, I did almost drown the pepper plants when they were little sprouts in the house, they weren't very happy for awhile after that, so maybe they did indeed get stunted. It will be interesting to see how they do! Still working on planting the garden. I ran out of potato seed, so will have to buy some more tomorrow after work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum