Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake

+5
Schipperkesue
duanescows
lanaire-ranching
Ruffledfeathers
Cathyjk
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very traditional... 10 eggs is about a pound of eggs....it's in the oven. I added coconut powder (the stuff to make coconut milk) and coconut flavouring (plus the vanilla)
I used ducks eggs (9 of them) as that's what I had extra of (I know there are loads of sites that say you can't substitute a duck egg or chicken egg, but whatever....)

3 cups sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
10 eggs
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup evaporated milk (I just used cream)
1 tsp rum flavoring
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (optional)

Cream Crisco and sugar together well, then add eggs, beating very well after each. Add salt, flavorings and milk, then flour. Bake in an extra large tube pan that has been floured and greased. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Check after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cake is done if knife inserted in center comes out clean.

2Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

So how did it turn out Cathy? Great I presume Smile

3Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

checking the cupboard for some coconut flavoring!! I need to make this

oooo I wonder if I can find my recipe for broiled coconut icing? it was tasty... let me go and see and I will post it here. would make for a nice bit of topping

4Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:05 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Broiled Coconut Icing

beat 1/4 c packed brown sugar and 2 Tbsp softened butter or marg until combined. Stir in 1 Tbsp milk. Stir in 1/2 c coconut and if desired 1/4c chopped nuts

Spread topping over warm cake, Broil about 4 inches from heat for 3 - 4 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly (says to serve warm, with this cake recipe)

I am laughing now. because the last time I made this, I think I forgot the BROIL part!! so if you dont want to do that, I am sure it will still turn out ahaha

5Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey, this turned out really well.. I think I would cut back the Crisco by 1/4 cup ... I think the duck eggs worked fine
They made the cake a perfect lemon yellow... it's pretty good, but minimal coconut flavour.. maybe next time add shredded coconut

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:28 pm

duanescows

Hi Cathy.
Looks good. Send me a piece and then I may try to make it next weekend as I have lots and lots of eggs right now. No duck eggs though.
Duane

7Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow! That is one heck of a cake!

8Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Impressive!

9Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Sorry I think that looks like WAY more than a pound!!  Laughing 

10Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:43 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmchiq wrote:Sorry I think that looks like WAY more than a pound!!  Laughing 

YOU kill me...

There was too much batter to put in the cake pan I would have preferred.. I have a cathedral pan that produces a cake like this - but way too much batter from this recipe..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whompin' lovely cake Cathyjk....I would not add coconut cause I don't like coconut. I love coconut curry chicken soup, guess it is a different taste of coconut in there. I love the coconut broiled icing recipe too, but I don't like coconut, so would make it without coconut, smiling. I have so many eggs that have been made into dog food, when I candle at day 7. Seems a shame because those eggs that are not fertile or just not developing look perfect, smell perfect and I see nothing wrong with eating them, just couldn't imagine eating them as a breakfast or something, unless I made something with them....maybe pounds and pounds of pound cake to be made and put in the freezer, smiling. Nice to see this beautiful tower cake too, what a pan that must be to wash, smiling. have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

12Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:Whompin' lovely cake Cathyjk....... what a pan that must be to wash, smiling.  have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Thanks Cyndi.... pan.. nope the cake slips out clean as a whistle.. basically just a dip in the wash water, no scrubbing.. .

13Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Thu May 01, 2014 2:15 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks cathy! Tried this and it was great!
Used 1 c butter and 3/4 c marg and only 2 c sugar and all 10 duck eggs.
Made two cakes one big and one small tube.
Used lemon and vanilla extract and made a lemon glaze for the smsll one.
Popped the big one on the freezer...I am imagining it with fresh strawberries and cream bom
Love the cathedral pan! Ill keep an eye out for one in thrift stores from now on.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

14Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Empty Re: Extra eggs - 10-egg Pound Cake Fri May 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Brilliant.. good to know it's good with butter rather than lard....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum